Thursday, October 29, 2015

Spirit of a Southern Belle Part 5: Why I Love Avon

In the 80's Avon was a really big deal. I remember Mom and Mawzy always looking through those pamphlets for perfume and makeup. I wasn't allowed to wear makeup outside of the house at that time, other than for performances, but I indulged in Mawzy's every time I visited. She kept it in the bathroom cabinet, easy access for me, and she didn't mind. I really loved the way my 5th grade teacher, Mrs. Morton, did her eyes. Green shadow on the outer lid and a bronze color on the inner. One of Avon's top-selling products was that blush that looked like a fat tube of lipstick. Two birds, one stone. I'm sure my cheeks always looked like a clown's, but my eyes looked fabulous and that was all that mattered.

www.bestthingsinbeauty.blogspot.com

Mawzy had ordered something that her Avon lady delivered in a tiny, pink paper box with white polka-dots. Mom and I decided that the little box should hold kisses for Paw so he wouldn't miss me when I wasn't around. We stuffed a piece of cotton into the box and sprayed perfume on it, and I presented it to Paw who was, predictably, delighted. Every time I saw him he'd tell me that he was running low on kisses, so I'd open the lid, spray an ungodly amount of stinky Avon perfume on the cotton, and somehow manage to not choke when I puckered my lips up to it with a kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss. 
www.orientaltrading.com

Mawzy and Paw owned a country house in Alabama that was situated on an enormous plot of land surrounded by thick woods on one side, farm animals belonging to my aunt and uncle in the back, and across the street, the largest vegetable garden I'd ever seen... great for hide and seek until I saw Children of the Corn. When my dance schedule wouldn't allow me to accompany them, Paw would take his box of kisses with him. But the times I did go were always so exciting. Their Weimaraner, Kitsel, and I would pile into the back of the minivan, best pals for the 5 hour drive. I had distant cousins around my age there, and we would play in my very own clubhouse which was nothing more than an over-sized, empty wooden shed with a dirt floor. We'd go swimming in water I wouldn't put a toe in now, walk to the corner store for candy, and use cardboard boxes to slide down the hills when fall set in and leaves were abundant. "Going to town" was always a big deal. The nearest grocery store was an hour away. Mawzy watched me "marry" my cousin, Jimmy, from the kitchen window of that country house. She had the decency not to make me feel weird about that. He owns the house now. I'm glad it remained in the family.




Kitsel & Me - I was probably 14ish here
I have no idea how many kisses I put in that tiny pink and white polka-dot box, but once bright and perfectly shaped, it had become faded and well worn, as if Paw had carried it around in his pocket. Since I couldn't go with him on his final trip, I refilled the box one last time and sent it with him.

To be continued...


No comments:

Post a Comment