Saturday, June 20, 2015

How to Get Stuff Done & Feel Good About It

"The simple act of writing things down (or typing or texting) quite literally alters the cognitive function that helps increase efficiency." I read that in a brief article on Manta.com the other day about the benefits of making a To Do List.

I have always reaped a tremendous amount of satisfaction from crossing off lists. You know that feeling you get when you are on a roll with something? That feeling of "I. Just. Can't. Stop." That's what a To Do List does for me.

When I complete each task, I methodically cross it off the list. Sometimes I mutilate it. Taking the pen to the paper & doing a scribbly dance to black that task out of my life forever. Particularly if it was a less appealing one. And sometimes, when I'm feeling like I haven't gotten enough done, I add things to the list that I have already done so that I get the satisfaction of that beautifully hand crafted strike through. Each line item is like a small mission (sometimes I do feel like I missed my calling to work for the CIA). So I go on, seemingly, a thousand missions per day to succeed as a mom to a toddler, the owner and operator of a growing local business, and someone who also manages a house by herself. 

I know it's a bit obsessive, but I get a lot of shit done. A lot. People are always asking me how I can accomplish so much in such a short period of time. I'm telling you, it's the To Do List. It helps to get the brain storm out of your head and into one neatly wrapped package over which you can exercise some control.

The To Do List is my secret. It is like magic for life's over achiever. A vertical timeline to guide you. It only takes 5 minutes to make one. And I want to share mine with you. 

1. On Saturday I make several lists for the coming week
In this case they were categorized as Groceries, House - To Do, Home Depot and Office Depot. 



2. Create a list for each day of the week.
Below is my House list... Omg, I will never accomplish all that in a week. So before I get all revved up about it, I'm going to choose the things that are priority, and I can save the rest for another week. But at least I have them out of my head and in front of me, making them much more likely to happen.





3. Time Management

EXERCISE - You'll notice that I try to do some form of exercise every day except Sunday. Typically, I base everything around my work schedule, but I prefer to exercise in the morning because it starts my day off right, with a positive mindset and a higher metabolic rate increasing my energy. Plus, I'm exhausted by the time I put my son to bed, so am much less likely to exercise at 8:30pm. I am fried by that point and generally tend to answer emails, write or zone out on Netflix.   


  • SUN - Since I typically try not to do Clone work on Sundays, I know I can get a lot of stuff done around the house so I focus my list at home this day.
  • MON - Errands, work, some stuff around the house
  • TUES - Work, some stuff around the house
  • WED - I have my son for the first part of the day on Wednesdays so I'm able to do more around the house & less for work.
  • THURS - WORK WORK WORK! My son is with his dad this whole day so it's my time to make money!
  • FRI - Work, fun with my son on a Fri night
  • SAT - Fun times, some work around the house, make next week's list

Do I stay on track completely? Of course not. This is life, and inevitably there will be curve balls. What to do then? Sometimes, you can jump ahead if a task is easier to complete today rather than tomorrow. Sometimes stuff just doesn't get crossed off. Is it worth beating yourself up over? No. You're not a robot. The list is your guide, not your Bible.


Here's what Tuesday night looked like.




And Saturday night when it came time to make the next week's list.


So I just moved those things that didn't get done to the top of my general list for next time.


4. To Do List for Work
For me, technology is key here. I use Google Calendar, and for each client and for my own office hours I keep a running list within each calendar appointment of things that need to happen, items for which I'm waiting for responses ("WFR") in order to move forward, and tasks that have been completed. Since many of my work items are ongoing, I find it easier to keep an electronic list, particularly since so much of my work is done on the computer.

Here's what my "Clone Office Hours" calendar appointment looks like.


Here's what doesn't work.


That's just chaos. 
If you can get things accomplished this way, please write to me. 
I'd love to know how you do it. 

5. Staying Motivated
If you find that you are struggling to accomplish the things you set out for yourself, perhaps you should try making shorter lists. Or find small ways to reward yourself in between tasks. When I'm cleaning my house I like to have a good smelling candle in each room. Every time I finish a room (I mean finish - dust, sweep, declutter, whatever needs to be done), I get to light that candle. You will be surprised at how much the simple pleasures matter.

Go outside. Stop to smell the roses. Really.

Play hide & seek with someone.  


6. Don't Be a Zombie.
Write your shopping lists on piece of paper. Paper is just as transportable as your cell phone, and you are less likely to run over someone's heels with your shopping cart.

If you get thrown off your schedule, don't fret. The list will be here tomorrow. Try to stay on track where you can and know that when your alarm goes off tomorrow, you have lots to do and feel good about accomplishing. 

2 comments: